This past month has been a little challenging with you as far as temperment and sleep. You seem to have regressed a little. We thought you had just about grown out of your colic, but lately you’ve been fussier than normal. Maybe teething? Growth spurt? Separation Anxiety? You seem to get annoyed easily and you’ll have these meltdowns that just come out of nowhere. Sleep has been difficult as well. During a recent trip to KY you were up multiple times during the night, screaming your head off. I counted one night that I nursed you 10 times, lol! I secretly call you Mr. Hyde because you will literally be smiling and laughing one minute, and then suddenly it’s like a switch turns and you are screaming bloody murder. You are definitely a passionate little guy and you want what you want, when you want it. Maybe what is a challenge for us today, will be a strength for you in the future. I hope you use that passion and determination to do great things one day. I also hope this is just a short lived phase;)
We had your 6 month checkup today, so I have some official stats.
Age: 6 months
Weight: 16 lbs, 5 oz (25th-50th percentile)
Length: 28 inches (75th percentile)
Head circumference: 17.5 inches (75th percentile)
Clothing size: 6 months fit good. Needs to be in size 3 diapers, but we’re trying to use up the rest of the 2’s.
Milestones: Smiles constantly and laughs a lot now too, especially when we give him zerberts and tickle his thighs. Sitting up with very little assistance. Gets in a crawling position and tries so hard, but no movement yet. Sleeping on his belly. “Talking” a lot and using consonants now, rather than just oooo’s and aaas’s. Eating one meal a day, usually some sort of fruit or veggie at lunch time. Reaches for and grabs at anything and everything, especially my food. Reaches at me when he wants to be picked up. Really likes to hold on to toys now. Likes to throw things too (not surprising if you know anything about his daddy). Took his first trip to KY and met lots of family members. Stayed in a hotel for the first time. Got sent home from daycare for the first time due to a mild case of hand/foot/mouth…yuck! First tooth finally pushing through…it’s been a doozy!
Sleep: Like I mentioned above, he majorly regressed this past month. There was a week long period where he was up multiple times during the night. It has gradually gotten better. He may sleep 11 hours straight through one night, but then wake up a couple times the next night. Usually though he’ll just wake up once, eat a little, and go back to sleep. The biggest problem is that he always wants to be nursed back to sleep…need to work on that:\
Eating: Still loves to eat! Takes a total of 18 oz of pumped milk at school, spread out over 4 bottles, and eats a fuit or veggie around noon. So far he’s had banana, apples, pears, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes and beets, and he’s loved it all. Besides what he gets at school, I still nurse him in the morning, when I get home from work and then at bedtime (and usually once during the night). We’re definitely in the distracted nursing phase. He wants to be looking around and he tries to take me with him if you know what I mean. Ouch!
- Standing (with our assistance of course).
- Going for walks in his stroller, or pretty much anything outside. He loves going to outdoor events where there is lots to look at.
- Sucking on his hands and feet.
- Playing on his “kick and play piano”.
- Playing on his owl play mat and reaching for the animals.
- His new exersaucer/activity gym.
- His teachers Miss Vicki and Miss Harriett…loves them!
- Dining out alfresco.
- Bath time. He loves to splash and kick in the water.
- Being held and walked around.
- Being sung to, read to, or just being talked to in general. His favorite song is the “Itsy Bitsy Spider.”
- Other babies and toddlers. He loves to be around people in general.
- Riley and Maddux.
- Napping/nursing in bed with me on the weekends.
- Sitting in his swing and watching the Baby First and Disney Jr. channels, or as we call it, his “shows.” He especially loves Peek-a-boo, The Notekins, Henry Hugglemonster, Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and The Higglytown Heroes.
- The evening hours, right before bedtime…his “witching hour.”
- Sitting in one place for too long.
- Being hot.
- Getting out of the bath and getting ready for bed.
- The nose sucker. He always has boogies up there though!
- Being woken up early from a nap.
- Being tired.
- Has been a little feisty in the carseat lately. He gets mad when I have to pull the straps tight.